The Circle/Cross shows what is going on in the querent’s life at the time of the reading. This section is made up of two crosses – a central one (Cards 1 and 2) nested within a larger cross (Cards 3 to 6). The smaller cross represents the heart of the matter – what is most central to the querent at the time of the reading. The larger cross consists of two lines that overlay the smaller cross. The horizontal line shows time moving from the past on the right into the future on the left. The vertical line is the querent’s consciousness moving from unconscious on the bottom to conscious mind on the top. Together these six cards give a snapshot of the inner and outer environment at the time of a reading.
seed (optional - beneath the "now" card) - symbolising the question being asked
now (centre) represents the present circumstances and state of mind of the querent - what is happening, and how it may be perceived.
- crossed by (across) represents the immediate challenge or problem facing the querent - the one thing that, if resolved, would make life a lot easier. Even if you draw a "positive" card in this position, consider it carefully as it will still represent a challenge.
- basis (below) reflects that which is within the subconscious realm of the querent and delves much deeper into the core foundation of the situation. It symbolises the underlying feelings and trends associated with the situation, and can indicate what is truly driving the querent. This card may bring a surprise message to any querent who is not deeply connected to their inner being. (A reversed card here may indicate that this is an "unknown" to the querent).
- behind (right or left) represents the past events that have lead up to the present situation, and may provide some indication of how the challenge came about.
- in front (left or right) represents the near future over the next few weeks or months - not the final outcome, but simply the next step on the journey.
- goal (above) reflects the querent’s conscious goal, aspiration or best outcome with regards to the situation - the resolution of the issue that the querent is deliberately working towards.
The Staff section shows the relationship between the querent and the environment in which they operate, and can provide a better indication of what is happening in the broader context. (lay from bottom to top)
- advice (recommendation) takes into account all that is happening within the querent’s life and presents a recommendation for what approach can be taken to address the current challenges / question.
- environment (external influences / circumstances) highlights the people, energies or events which will affect the outcome of the question and are beyond the querent’s control.
- attitude (hopes and/or fears) surrounding the resolution of the question. Keep in mind that hopes and fears are closely intertwined, therefore that which we hope for may also be that which we fear, and so may fail to happen.
- outcome - represents where the situation is headed and if/how the issue will be resolved. It assumes the outcome based on the querent continuing their current course of action. Of course, if the outcome card is not a desirable outcome, it is within the free will of the querent to make the necessary changes to their situation.
Sometimes it is useful to draw further card(s) for clarification after the reading has been laid, and to read the two together - especially for "attitude" or "outcome".
Synergy between cards
- basis vs goal (below and above): is there a synergy between the subconscious (basis) and the conscious (goal) levels? Is there alignment between what is driving the querent and what the querent aspires to? If there is alignment, great – it will be a lot easier to resolve the issue. If not, then assist the querent in understanding what is happening at the subconscious level and how this may be impacting their response to the issue.
- goal vs outcome: is there alignment between what the querent wants to happen (goal) and what will happen (outcome)? Is the querent helping or hindering the situation? If you find that the cards are opposing each other, then the querent will need to think carefully about how to create the outcomes they want. Look to the "advice" card for more guidance.
- in front vs outcome: How are the events of the near future contributing or influencing the overall outcome? Will the querent need to manage these events in a particular way to create the right outcomes? Again, refer to the "advice" card for more detail.
- basis vs attitude: If you are finding it difficult to interpret the hopes/fears (attitude), have a look at what is happening at the subconscious level within the querent (base). Is there something in their subconscious realm that is creating fear or hope? If you see reversed cards in these positions, then it is likely the querent is not yet aware of their subconscious drivers and how this is impacting them in the "real world".
- advice vs outcome: The querent doesn’t like the outcome? Well, take a look at the "advice" card to see what actions the querent can take to create a more positive outcome. Also take into consideration what events are likely to occur in the near future (ahead) so that the querent can manage these effectively.
Now bring it all together for deep and profound insight into the situation at hand.